CBSE Schools to Celebrate 150th Birth Anniversary of Swami Vivekananda
The country would be celebrating the 150th Birth Anniversary of Swami Vivekananda on 12th January 2013. The Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) along with all schools affiliated to it must celebrate the event in a befitting manner by ensuring the participation of all Educational Institutions in paying homage to this great leader.
Born in 1863, Swami Vivekananda played an important role in introducing Indian philosophies of Vedanta and Yoga to the western world. He also played a key role in making Hinduism gain the status of a major world religion during the end of the 19th century.
A disciple of spiritual leader Ramakrishna Paramahansa, Swamiji enchanted the European world with his inspiring speech at the Parliament of the Worlds Religions at Chicago in 1893. Swamiji, as he was called by his disciples, founded social welfare body Ramakrishna Mission’.
Marking the 150th Birth Anniversary of the monk, the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) has decided to commemorate the event in the schools affiliated to the Board. The schools are requested to draw a plan of action comprising the following programmes and activities for students of all classes:
- The schools need to draw a year long calendar of programmes and activities on the life and philosophy of Swami Vivekanand.
- The schools should integrate the teachings of the saint in various school clubs like debate clubs, literary clubs, cultural clubs etc.
- Students from different age-groups can participate in the cultural fiesta like dance, drama, skits, etc. While, for the kids, the cultural programme will be an occasion to express their joys, the grown-ups can soak themselves into the life and teachings of Swami Vivekanand.
- Creative and literary activities like poster making competition, slogan writing competition and reading and writing competitions can be organized at various levels
- Seminars/lecturers by eminent philosophers, educationists, and learners associated with work and life of Swami Vivekanand can be organized by the Schools/Societies etc.
- Exhibition on Life and achievements of Swamiji can be held too.
- Film shows followed by students’ evaluation of his relevance in the present time can become a part of the celebrations. The Board has decided to involve students’ community of its schools in health & physical fitness activities that address age specific concerns at different stages of development as part of the celebration. (Refer circular No. Acad-20/2012 dated 24/05/2012)
The CBSE has compiled a few relevant reference materials with links of websites etc. (Annexure 1). The students, teachers and various stakeholders can make use of them along with other sources to understand the life, philosophy and teachings of this great reformer.
The students could also be assessed as a part of Co-Scholastic Activities. It will be appreciated if the schools sent the action plan to the Board followed by a brief report of activities on their conclusion, supported by pictures for reference and record.